Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Day before Christmas

It has been over two years since my visit to Tanzania, but I wrote this for Christmas and decided to share it:



Merry Christmas,

T'Was the day before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring 'cept our cats toy mouse. 

No stockings were hung there was no tree with glitter. Our house was a mess and smelled somewhat like litter.

My friends, they did ask me "Greg what is the matter?" Ba-humbug I said to their holiday chatter.

For the first time in my life I've no Christmas cheer, for my family is there and I am stuck here.

And so to work on Christmas Eve, I went feeling quite shitty. All the way in my car I had a party of pity.

As I waited to enter my own Christmas jail, my phone buzzed to say, "hey you've got an email!"

An update from Tanzania brought me back to my past. I read through the letter, I read it twice fast.

As I looked through the photos I couldn't help it I smiled, see there's nothing quite like joy on the face of a child. 

The letter told tales of the Christmas gifts they were giving, and of the school where these kids were living.

The kids at the school, for one reason or more, were unable to go to school long before. 

These kids were disabled unable to learn, no school that could take them, no matter their yearn.

This year at the school Albino children will stay, for outside of its walls it is not safe to play. 

How sad that for no reason except for skin tone, it's unsafe for these children to be on their own.

And so from this email showing all Christmas fun. I'm reminded how much work there is still to be done.

And the next time I'm feeling so down and so low I'll remind myself that I'm not always the star of the show.

Love, 
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment